Friday 3 October 2014

Summer Project 2014

Summer Project 2014

I have recently began studying on a degree course in Makeup and Hair Design in Southampton and as a task before we started the course we were given a project to complete over the summer which was to help give us an insight and help us explore and push the boundaries a little more with our ideas and creative side and to really think about who and where we want to be in the future. The task itself was split into to two. For the first task we were asked to produce a mood board of where we want to be in 5 years time and the kind of person we would like to see ourselves as, some of the other questions asked were "Who do you want to work with?" "What amazing job do you dream of doing?" I feel like this task actually helped me a lot to really sit down and think about what I want from my future and where I want to see myself.

My mood board that I created.

On my mood board I tried to reflect what I want out of my life in the next 5 years for example the obvious would be to graduate with at least a 2:1, then go out to assist a make up artist on fashion shows, TV and film sets. I would like to try out all areas of make up because I believe you will never really know what you want until you have tried every route. 
At some point I would love to go travelling and experience all the different cultures and what else life has to offer wether it be with work or as my own choice I would really hope to do that in the future. 
As I ran out of space on my mood board I shall post it onto my blog instead, a question that we were asked was "Who do you want to work with?" that question for me is the easiest at the moment, I would have to say Lou Teasdale who is now the make up artist for One Direction! Lou is a huge inspiration for me, i love the work she does as its very quirky and alternative and also her journey to get where she is now. She started out just like most other makeup graduates, she finished at London College of Fashion and then went onto assisting for 5 years to gain more experience and contacts, she then got a break for ITV's XFactor which she worked for around 2 years eventually met One Direction and the rest is pretty much history, she now travels with them everywhere and goes on tour with them around the world and most recently she has released her own beauty, makeup and hair book "The Craft". This to me is proof that anything is possible if you continue to work hard and take every opportunity you are given!

Lou Teasdale

Clips from The Craft.






As for the second task we were asked to select 2 films from a list we were given and analyse the two we selected as this can help with finding creative inspiration and how films can reflect society and culture in that certain era. 
The 2 films I chose to review were The Great Gatsby (2013) and Quadrophenia (1979) which are two very different films in the way of the styling and different era. I also found that sitting down and watching a film not because we just wanted to watch the film but because there was a purpose behind watching them really helped to see past the stroyline and them just being good films but also because we were having to analyse and really try to pick out certain things to understand what the film was reflecting and if they were projecting society and any style movements that may have occurred correctly. 

The Great Gatsby (2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment