Saturday 4 October 2014

Elizabethans- Project Brief

Project Brief

For our first assignment of the year we have been giving the topic area of the Elizabethan era. My personal knowledge of the elizabethan era and history itself hasn't always been my strong point and is  slightly limited, however, to me the Elizabethan era is what set the foundation of English History obviously Queen Elizabeth I played a key part in the is but also for Shakespeare and the time of the Tudors. 
My fears for this assignment is that I don't want to feel and also show that I lack in the knowledge of this era which could then possibly lead to being my downfall with my overall work at the end of this assignment, I would like to think that even though my knowledge isn't great on the Elizabethans I shall learn quickly and pick up on the styles and key characteristics which could then help me produce some great work and full fill my knowledge more. 
I am looking forward to learning about the key characteristics of the styling and how the clothes, colour choices and hair had a meaning behind them and the way this determined and separated people into different classes of society.


Elizabethan Beauty Ideals.
The beauty ideals of the upper class of society in the Elizabethan era was that the females where the image of the 'English Rose' with paled white skin using white make up and tinted cheeks for a flushed innocent look and red lips. 



Elizabeth I (1533–1603)
by British (English) School
The Cooper Gallery 

I particularly like this painting of Elizabeth I as it is one of the more clearer images we can see of her and the detailing that has gone into painting her dress and and showing the texture of her hair, also because I think the make up she has also shows how this has travelled through the changes of time and how people still wear this style of pale complexion and soft pink cheeks, which I feel is relevant for my project as I can reflect back in history but also see how it has modernised through time. 


The website I have come across to help me research into the Elizabethan beauty and style ideals also states that people from the lower class of society where not aloud to wear this look of paled white skin as they would work outside and therefore have a suntan, and thus meaning you could tell the difference from upper and lower class of people in the Elizabethan era. 



1 comment: