Monday 10 November 2014

Practical: Blocking Eyebrows

Blocking Out Eyebrows

In our practical makeup lesson last week we were shown how to block out eyebrows using soap and water or prig-stick glue.
Here I will give you a step by step guide of how to achieve this and a list of the products you will need.

Products;
Bowl
Soap
Water
Pritt-Stick Glue
Spatula
Cotton Buds
Small Angle Brush
Blusher Pallete
Supra Colour
White Foundation


Step by Step Guide

  • Take a bowl of warm soapy water or your prit-stick glue and scrap a small amount onto the back of your hand and move around until the soap and water has formed into a cream like paste.
  • Take a small amount onto your angle brush or spatula and wipe through the eyebrows in the opposite direction so the product sits through the hairs and then smooth over in an outwards direction
  • Continue to add more product to the eyebrows in an outwards motion, blending the product and smoothing with your fingers as well to ensure the eyebrows and as smooth as possible
  • Build the product up onto the eyebrow until you can no longer feel any eyebrow hair and the eyebrow has been fully covered with product and is smooth and flat as it can be.
  • Using a cotton bud dip this into some of the water bowl and gently work around the edges of the eyebrow to clean off any excess product that may have stuck to the skin as this could ruin or cause issues when applying your initial base.
  • Once the eyebrows are smooth and the edges have been cleaned gently press into the eyebrows to check it they feel dry.
  • If the eyebrows are now dry you will need to take a small makeup sponge and the white foundation and gently dab the foundation onto the eyebrows, continuously building up the colour so the eyebrow colour is barely visible as possible.
  • Then take your foundation brush and continue with the white foundation all over the face, down the neck and over the ears so you have a full coverage of base application to the face and the eyebrows.
  • Take your blusher brush or buffing brush and really work the product into the face and actual make the product work and not just sit on the face 
  • Once your happy with your application and coverage take your blusher palette and a pinky/red blush shade and gently brush over the apples of the cheek, ask your model to smile to help you decide where the product should be applied. 





Here was my first attempt at blocking the eyebrows out and completing a full elizabethan coverage makeup. I used the soap and water technique on my model's left eyebrow and prit stick glue on her right eyebrow to see how each worked and if one worked better than the other. I found that I preferred using the soap and water technique as it gave me more time to apply and I could keep layering it up without it going clumpy and sticky, where as the glue dried quicker and as I tried to add more product it was pulling away from the brows and clumping up which didn't give a smooth finish.



Here is my second attempt of blocking the eyebrows out on a different model this week. My model had quite coarse and think eyebrows so I found it was more difficult for me to build the product up as I only had around 20 minutes to complete and take a picture, as you can see I didn't get a chance to add any blusher or lip colour because I unfortunately ran out of time, however, Im happy that I got to practice the most important thing I wanted to which was the eyebrows as I think I shall be using this technique in my final contemporary Elizabethan makeup look. 
As you can see from the image I needed to work on building the colour up more on my model to flatten the eyebrow down more and give it the smoother finish which would have then resulted in me being able to apply a better and even base.

No comments:

Post a Comment